Sunday 2 October 2011

A Rapist In The Family?

For some reason I just watched the trailer for an upcoming horror movie called "The Human Centipede 2". I come away really perplexed at what the attraction is for these kinds of movies? Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm really unclear where the kicks are coming from? Do you really want to see people cut up, tortured, mutilated? Well ok, I suppose that's your prerogative, but I'm left feeling really uncomfortable about the whole idea. I just wonder why we crave watching others suffer? What primal instinct are we tapping into, and is it healthy to do so? Don't misunderstand me, I understand that certain drama's benefit from strong imagery, but what's with the whole slasher movie thing? It almost seems geared to inflame the more primitive parts of our brain, awakening the blood lust of our ancestors. Now I'm not ignorant that in every family tree there's probably a murderer or a rapist or a relative that lived like a parasite, and the ugly paradox is that we owe many of these brutes a kind of gratitude. After all, their violence and conniving may have put in motion the wheels that lead to you, to me? How's that for bizarre? In fact it's a near certainty that at some point along our family tree our females were raped and our men were killers and brutes. They were products of an utterly different world, the realm of pre-history, driven by primal urges to feed, to breed, to dominate. It's entirely likely that without their brutishness we may not have come into existence, so we might as well recognise that discomforting fact for what it is. Yet here we are now, tens of thousands of years on, with brains that can stare deep into the cosmos and understand the nature of reality, yet some of us prefer to watch teenagers get minced with varying degrees of sadism? Perhaps we still carry the hallmarks of our lowly ancestry after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment