Thursday 2 April 2020

A World Gone Mute

It is ten PM. Joy and I have just finished watching the The Good Fight on Netflix. I have gone outside to let the dog out. On a normal night I would hear a lot of ambient sound. Vehicles passing on the main road, perhaps some raised voices, or the sound of an aircraft overhead. Tonight there was nothing. A wall of silence, punctuated by a single vehicle engine towards the end. The dog dutifully squeezed out a wee then trots back inside and awaits its end of day treat. Perhaps I should allow myself a similar goody whenever I've urinated? I mean fairs fair?. I digress. Next thing I head upstairs to say goodnight to the offspring. Holly is already fast asleep so I do not trouble her. Lowenna, or Leo as she likes to be called these days is still sat in bed with her laptop and phone illuminating her features. Teenage is as teenage does. I tell them about the silence, and true to form she's up and scooting downstairs to experience the moment. So we both head out into the garden, this time leaving the mutt indoors. Again there is a deathly quiet, although not total this time. We are stood beside each other, and I point out that it is important to remember that we are living through history. One day she may tell her kids, perhaps her Grandchildren about this. I think she understood. I wonder what the younger generation is really making of these times? As a parent I am being largely fact based. In all likelihood a close encounter with Covid 19 would be a transitory discomfort for them, although I am aware there have been instances where the thing has been a wrecking ball to persons with no Preexisting conditions. This remains one of the great unknowns isn't it? We know what it can do, but it is keeping its list of future victims close to its chest. I ask myself how to be in light of this? Authentic is the voice that comes back. Its all I know. Impart the facts, do not panic, and be smart. That should be a universal life lesson. So as the day concludes I check the news, watch some inane Facebook video's, and ponder the conclusion of another day in Lock-down land. I'm a key worker so have more freedom than many. I can turn journey's home into extended jaunts that take in some of the local countryside. I can park up somewhere remote, get out and listen to the sounds of nature for a few minutes. I'm good with solitude. It is a place of sanctuary for me. Give me the birds and the trees and the vastness of a big sky overhead. It doesn't have to be blue. Once again I'm reminded that I am a man of extremes in so many ways. Happy in nature, happy when I'm knee deep in tech. I'm in love with silence, but also perfectly at ease in a Control Room when it all goes tits up. When this is all done and dusted, and assuming we return to some degree of normality I wonder whether we, as a society, will take the positives from this? Can we continue in this vein? Can we keep asking ourselves what we can contribute rather than what we can claim? We are seeing this day in, day out. Wouldn't it be lovely if we could return to those halcyon days when that's just who we are? I dislike a society focused on self preservation. Whenever I see an Instagram selfie I am struck not by the beauty of the person who is posing, but rather the ugliness of the need to preen and posture. It is not an individual critique as such, but for me it speaks into an aspect of our nature that I dislike. Notice me, approve of me. Tell me how beautiful you think I am. I'm afraid I see no beauty in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment