Tuesday 17 May 2011

When Wrong Is Right

Thought experiment. If you could change a single incident in your life which one would it be? I'm only giving you the one choice, so choose wisely.
Was it an easy decision? Yes? No? Done? Ok, so you've pressed the proverbial delete, created a new timeline. What now? How easy is it to re-imagine your new reality? What did your tear out? What replaces it?
It's all a bit surreal isn't it? I wonder what you've gone for? A relationship you never had? A job you wanted? A journey you'd dreamed of?
I've probably touched upon this before, but I sometimes wonder whether from our errors can emerge a greater good? At least, when we filter them through the lens of hindsight. I can think of at least one wrong decision that was to yield an incredible harvest. As I reflect I'm convinced that being technically wrong was actually right for that season of my life. Does that still mean it was wrong, then? Now we're into some weird territory. And I've no answer. If I'd known then what I know now reason would have made it impossible to choose that fateful path, yet had I not I'd never have met some incredible people, or been to some incredible places, or met my incredible wife or had my incredible children. So I find myself wondering whether sometimes  you can be wrong in the right way? I'm confusing myself. I'm probably confusing you. Am I making anything even close to sense? It's very late, and I'm mentally spent at the end of some tough shifts. Still, I just wanted to prostitute the question, so to speak. 

1 comment:

  1. I would change nothing except for the times I have been unfair or unkind to others.

    All my personal "mistakes" led me to where I am today. I really wouldn't change that.

    ReplyDelete