Sunday 8 September 2019

Guest Blog - From My Youngest Daughter Lowenna

Hi so this is probably an email that you don't always see, but I feel like I need to tell you something about me that is important to who I am and yet doesn't define me. At this point in time I feel more comfortable with myself and my identity.
For the past few years I have found that I am attracted to girls in a romantic way. In other terms I am gay.

The term gay is a very loose word and it doesn't feel like it completely resembles me. As a Christian I see myself as a child of God first, that does not however mean that this part of me isn't important. There is so much more to a person than their sexuality and looking back I am starting to wonder why I worried so much about it before. I shouldn't have to feel like something about me is wrong because of what society says is right. I have spent probably too much time worrying about this when I should have just loved who I was and who I can be.

Right now I am in a relationship with a girl I might have spoken about, her name is Maggie and so far, in the time that I have been with her I have been happy and felt free to voice how I was feeling. It felt normal and it was fun to be around her. One of the reasons why I wanted to tell you all that I felt like I was gay was because I didn't want to feel like I was lying to you about my relationship with Maggie. I don't like holding back on these things

The main reason as to why I felt like I was in an uncomfortable position was because of my sexuality and the controversy surrounding it. This does not mean that there is anything different about me I have just learned that there is another part of me, and that part that likes girls isn't something that I should look down on.

I am not asking for your full support, you are free and entitled to your own feelings and opinions. In all honesty I would rather that you were true to the way you felt. I just ask that you don't worry too much over it.
Some people have said to me:

"I don't think that you are really are gay, you are one of my Christian friends."

There are a few areas of this that I disagree with but that is okay it hasn't completely destroyed my relationship with them and they are still someone who I look up to and respect. Freedom of speech is so important to me. I don't want to think that because of who I like means that my family has to feel uncomfortable saying things around me. You can talk to me about it if you want or you can ask that we don't bring it up. What I am not going to promise is that I won't get hurt by some things people say, but I would rather you asked than felt like you couldn't talk to me.

All I ask is that you are honest to me and to yourself and don't hold back on what you want to say. I wrote this just after watching "Secret life of 4 year olds" and they would say anything!!

You are my family and I love you

Lowenna

No comments:

Post a Comment