Monday 29 October 2018

An Intruder In The Home

Just had an interesting discussion with a work colleague whom I respect. General chat about the job we do. The subject got onto burglary, and I have found myself very clear on how I would react should I encounter an intruder in my home. I would respond with disproportionate violence. I would use any object that came to hand to hurl at them, and should things become physical I would gouge, I would bite, and I would break and actively seek to incapacitate my combatant. They would understand, at the bare minimum, that to target my home was an incorrect choice. I am not proud of any aspect of this, but I know in the very core of my being that I could respond in no other way. I would not be measured, I would not be reasoned. I would be visceral and the violence would be immense. What is it about this offence that provokes such a strong reaction in me? I am the least violent person I know. I always try to discuss and reason and engage in workable compromise, but when I think of persons entering my home I feel a gut urge to respond in ways that I cannot defend. I hate violence and consider it as a left over facet of our primitive ancestry. But by God it’s within me; I’m not a fallen angel but rather a risen ape. I try to make sense of the contradiction yet struggle to do so. There’s no real rationale I can deploy; it would be far better to call 999 and take to least amount of risk. It’s weird to me on so many levels that I should feel this way. I would always, and I mean always urge other’s not to do as I fear I would. There’s no sense in it; why put yourself at risk for this? I suppose we all bear our fair share of contradictions if we are honest; perhaps this is simply one my more overt examples? What’s your biggest contradiction? The thing that you cannot apprehend about yourself? I bet there’s something. You’re no more of an angel than I. When you strip away the denial what’s your double standard? Answers on a postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment