Wednesday 18 March 2020

Made Of The Same Stuff.

Well, who saw 2020 shaping up this way? Oh well, desperate times call for desperate measures. I've spent the morning lurking an alleyways and have successfully robbed three senior citizens. The 3rd one was a bit touch and go because he gave chase on a mobile scooter, but his battery gave out when he sped through a large puddle caused by all the rain we've had. Still, I'm now good for Andrex, and Billy the dog can rest easy knowing that he won't be enticed into the toilets with treats and used used as a glorified bog roll. For the immediate future, at least.
Life's all a bit bizarre isn't it? I don't think we all know whether we're coming or going. As of the 18th March, which happens to be my 49th birthday, I have not yet succumbed to our viral friend. It was a tough decision having to give up licking toilet seats, but I figured I needed to be seen doing my bit. My cunning plan is, I think, revolutionary. I'm going to keep calm and carry on. Take the Government advice, help out where I can. Keep turning up for work and doing my bit there. And resisting the urge to think that we're on the verge of the apocylypse. It's bad, yes. Probably going to get worse, too. But we're a resilient bunch, aren't we? With a bit of courage, a bit of compassion, and a grand old dollop of humour we can get through this. We can. We will. And we'll be the more rounded for it. These coming months are when we're all going to learn a lot about ourselves. About each other. And I already know that when I emerge on the other side I want to be able to look back and say to myself, OK lad, you did alright. You looked out for others, you made sensible choices and made the neccessary sacrifices. I want to feel good about how I reacted, not quietly ashamed that I put myself first. I don't really have any advice that you wouldn't already have given yourself, so I'll sign off with this. Be brave, be safe, look outward. Believe you're up to this. Right now I see a world where we're all a bit uneasy, which is a natural and real reaction. Yet I also see a world that can work together and perhaps come closer. Wouldn't that be a cool outcome? Maybe this is what we needed to really remind ourselves that we're all fragile, all temporal. All made of the same stuff. Good luck. Earthlings. Let's see what we're capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment