Tuesday 24 January 2012

What To Do About The Scroungers?

I want to support those who are unable to work. I don't want to support those who are unwilling to work. I could stop right there and you'd know where I stand. Now here's an admission from yours truly; I don't mind paying tax. I like to contribute to the wellbeing of society and recognise my responsibility to do so. By the same token I think we should all expect our contributions to help build and sustain our communities, yet it seems to me that a fair percentage goes to those who I can only really describe as parasites. Why should I have to pay for Tracy Twelve-kids when she needs trainers for her kids? Why should I give money to Larry Layabout in order for him to get his sky TV dish installed?
Why, in short, am I required to support people who have no impediment to supporting themselves?
I read in a newspaper column yesterday that if our kids grow up in an environment where none of the adults work, why should we be surprised when they grow into people who've got palms outstretched waiting for people like you and me to pick up the tab?
No. Of course no. Always, no. A functioning society requires a contribution from all who are able to do so, and in this day and age most of us fall into this category. In many respects I'm a libertarian, but not when it comes to the debt we owe to each other. We're a team, a unit, and those who can play a part should absolutely do so. Yet this morning there are people watching that imbecile Jeremy Kyle and his car crash tv, and smoking and chilling out courtesy of the state. And by the way, the state means you and I, because make no mistake we're the one's picking up the bill?
Here's my suggestion, which some may find hard line. For those who choose to cheat society they should expect the absolute bare minimum in return. Also, I think we need to create a culture of shame where we truly disdain people who want to freeload. Remember how that worked with drink drivers? Sometimes the tough stance is the better one in order to achieve societal change. And no, I'm not for allowing the children of these layabouts to starve or suffer, but by doing nothing we are allowing our society to take a shape that is, in the end only going to cause further harm. Being very controversial, is there an argument for enforced family planning in some cases? Should those who cannot afford more children be allowed to have them? What do you think?
Come what may, the choices we make today have consequences tomorrow, so ask yourself whether you want to be a part of a nation that works together to overcome and innovate, or do you want to see us overtaken by emergent nations who have more grit, more determination, and an honest expectation from its citizens?

No comments:

Post a Comment