Friday 26 August 2011

You Take How Long To Get Ready!!

What do you think of when you reflect on traditional beauty? What's the first thing that comes into your head? For me, oddly, the word "boredom" leaps head and shoulders above every other description that might vie for attention. It's not that I have an issue with beautiful people. Or at least I'm not aware I do. What dulls my interest is the amount of effort actually required to keep up the facade. The grooming, the preening; I'm yawning even as I think about it. I dunno, perhaps I'm just a lazy Git. And let's face it I never was designed to grace the catwalk. I can just think of far more interesting things to do than stare into a mirror making sure every wrinkle is concealed and every rogue nasal hair stuffed back out of view. That's not to say that I don't take reasonable care of myself, but the key word here is reasonable. I'm clean, well presented, and never wear the same under crackers two days running. What more do you want?
I was watching a TV program the other day. Correction, I was staring blankly at a screen because I couldn't be bothered to do anything meaningful. There was this program about young women on holiday, and some were saying that it took two hours to get ready each morning. What! I mean, how? Just average that out over the course of a lifespan. How many hours spent just getting ready to face the world? No thank you mam. I may be a bit rough around the edges and I don't strategically arrange each and every pubic hair, but I'm good to go and my life's engaging.
You know what? I sometimes wonder whether there's something else going on beneath the surface of these types of folk? Is it that important you're perfect before the world thrusts it's judgmental gaze upon you? If yes, why? Who are you in debt to? What are you compensating for? Oh there he goes, psycho analyzing again. I have to be honest, and even though it might fly in the face of convention I'll go for personality and charisma every day of week over beauty. I'm drawn to people who are comfy in their own skin, who have a balanced self image and something interesting to say. I'm not drawn to self obsessed types; they can be insular and dry and uninspiring. If I'm spending time around someone I'd like to get a little something from the experience. I hate to say it, and I know people are going to get on their high horse when I do, but very few people make me think, or leave me feeling stirred and uplifted. I sometimes fear that we live in a world where it's more common to live our lives through others rather than trying to forge our own paths? Or perhaps I'm guilty of loading my own set of expectations on others? Trying to make them into something they are not?

No comments:

Post a Comment